The IoT requires Ontologies of your Digital Products and Digital Services
Products and services associated with the IoT currently operate in closed ecosystems like Home Automation, in effect, they are simply networked products with linking software. Part machine to machine (M2M) and part human to machine or machine to human (H2M setup and observation and M2H alerts).
The IoT is an open ecosystem, made up of billions of product, services and people ecosystems.
While many people will associate an ontology with a website, software or information system, the key factor in IoT products or services is;
- Information uniqueness
- Information parity
- Information exchange policies
IoT products and services also require
- Governance frameworks
- Security frameworks
- Privacy/data storage frameworks
An ontology is a formal naming and definition of the types, properties, and interrelationships of the entities that really or fundamentally exist for a particular domain.
In order to digitize products and services for the IoT an open network, they are required to fit into several types of ontology including;
- Global ontologies
- Domain ontologies
- Geographic ontologies
More information about ontologies and how they are created can be found here;
Other connected posts
- Does your company have Digital Products for the Digital Economy? Digital Productization.
- Ubiquity (IoT) does not exist yet, how will it work with Blockchain AI and BigData for Humans?
- Smart Living or as we might live with artificial intelligence and the IoT in a new reality
- IoT Ecosystem Design Toolkit 1.0 submission for SXSW17
- Situational awareness drives the IoT an interactive landscape not visual interfaces
IoT digital productization
If you’re looking for advice on how your products or services can be made ready for the IoT please contact us.
About the Author
Karl Smith is Computer Scientist or as he describes himself a Creative Scientist. He has worked as an Instructional Designer, Information Architect, Innovator, User Experience Architect and Human Centered Design Consultant. He is also an entrepreneur, founder and director, CIO, CXO involved in startups, offering development, capability building (recruitment), global business development and global program management.
Karl Smith is an acknowledged leader in the field of Human Centred Design, User Experience and Usability and has been honoured with a Fellowship by the British Computer Society. He is also the Founder of several organisations including The Human Centered Design Society.
151total visits,1visits today
- #Rural #UltraBroadband signals the end of a focus on #Cities instead #LiveSmart
- #Huawei works to end the #digitaldivide by #recyclinginfrastructure for #rural #ultrabroadband
- UbiNET Platform from #UbiNET Inc. with #cryptocurrency and #blockchain 2018 asset sale
- Core character traits of a True Leader
- Paradigm Interactions R&D company UbiNET issues two cryptocurrencies the #ThingCoin and #UbiNET Token